Google’s search bar is a great handy-dandy tool. As Google continues to enhance and make “search” user friendly for consumers, there are a few quick keywords (that if memorized) can shave seconds off time and help simplify your life. I posted this blog as I saw an article come through that said “12 Google Search Hacks”. Well, of course that post title got my attention as I am a Google Partner and I really didn’t like the word “hack” in it. So I spent some time going thru the post and tested some of their tips. It was pretty cool! I used some on my iPhone and some on my desktop. Some worked for me and some didn’t. Some I was interested in and some I wasn’t. So out of the list, I thought I would write a blog on some of the features that I felt made my life simpler using Google search and I hope you find the same. I share their link below my post if you want their full 20 list. Here are 16 cool Google search tips that I found very useful:
1. Find out what the weather is like without stepping outside. Before I used to have an outside thermometer near the back door, that was easy for me to read from inside the house to get the temperature. I also had to listen to the radio to get the future forecast. Today, all I have to do is go to the app I have installed on my phone or do a Google search. If you type in “weather” with any location (geo-targetted) you will get the forecast. Today I tested Ottawa and I am about 5 1/2hrs from that area. Cool! So use the keyword “weather (with your location)” in the search bar.
2. Concerned about calories on your next snack food? Simply put “vs” between two snack food words and voila! You have all the nutritious (or junk) details. Today I compared cheeseburger vs fries. Yikes! No wonder I don’t eat those foods much. So key the snack food keywords between the keyword “vs” in the search bar. I used “cheeseburger vs fries“. Cool!
3. This one will come in handy for me and I hope it comes in handy for you as well. If you put the keyword “set timer for” along with the amount of time you wanted, that Google search would countdown time for you. Cool! This is extremely useful for me on my home treadmill. I used this one today and it truly works. I set mine for 30 min. In this example I tested 1 hour on my desktop for this blog post. So key in the keywords “set timer for (desired time)” in the search bar and watch the countdown begin. You can also stop it or reset it quickly. Cool!
4. You can calculate your tip and divide your bill. With this Google search tip I got rid of an app. Cool! I freed up so space on my iPhone. 🙂 So key in the keyword “tip calculator“, enter some numbers and voila! Cool!
5. Find out when the sunrises. Key in the keyword “sunrise (with location)” and voila!
6. Find out when the sunsets. Key in the keyword “sunset (with location)” and voila!
7. I used the Google search to translate. I have used a toolbar for tanslation before but this search is quick. I put in a rare keyword with the word “translate (with keyword to translate)” and voila! Cool!
8. Find out movie times. All you have to do is key in the movie keywords with geo-targetting and voila! So key in the movie “movie (with location)” and it will give you the list of the showings.
9. Find out when a statutory holiday is. Key in the holiday along with the province and year and voila! So I keyed it in this way “province/country (with holiday) (with year)” and voila! Quick and easy. Cool!
10. Find out the time in other parts of the world. This came in handy today as I was working on a landing page for my workshop and just wanted to make sure of the time zones in various parts of the U.S. I will also use it to quickly look up a time zone when I do my Skype calls for my podcasting interviews. Quick and easy. Google will help you figure it out.So key in the keyword “time (with location)” and voila!
11. Find out the area code in other parts of the world. Quick and easy. Google will help you figure it out. So key in the keyword “area code (with location)” and voila!
12. Use Google search to do your geometry homework. It may also come in handy for a carpenter. It also works for “solve triangle.” So key in the keyword “solve (plus geometry)” and voila!
13. Find out a definition without cracking a dictionary open. Easy! Key in the keyword “define: (keyword)” and voila!
14. Use Google to convert units. I’m forever going to my desktop to convert stuff. After all these years I am still a “pounds and ounces” girl. I really have not adjusted to the “kg” measurement way. So I convert a lot. Thought this was really cool and so fast and easy. So all you have to do is key in exactly the convert units you want and voila! In this Google search you key in exactly what you need converted. I used “5 lbs to kg” and the conversion came up so fast. Will saved a lot of time for me.
15. Find out when your favorite movie came out. Besides that it might come up at the bottom of the trailer notes on your TV, this is a quick and easy way with Google search. Movie keyword plus the keyword “release dates” is what you have to key into Google search. So key in the title of the “movie (release dates) and voila!
16. Thought this was very handy. Look up flight times. Key in the airline company and the flight number and voila! Cool! So key in the keyword “(airline company) (flight number)“. So easy!
These where the top 16 that I liked and felt they would come in handy. You can find more here. I had a lot of fun putting this together. It certainly took some time but I sure learned a ton. I hope you get the same benefit from it.
Cheryl is an Online Digital Marketing specialist for local business. She specializes in working with car dealerships, real estate and medical professionals as she understanding the consumer buying process within these niches. However she will never leave a local business entrepreneur behind. She has created the most powerful academy for local business entrepreneur serving their online digital marketing and advertising needs all under one roof. She has over 25 yrs experience as a successful local business owner. In 2010 she started speaking and mentoring to local business entrepreneurs with her own products, programs and consulting to help them increase sales and clients with technology advancements in the “new economy”. Book your FREE 30 minute complimentary assessment today at http://meetme.so/CherylLynn If you are interested in having Cheryl speak are your next event please click on the following link to learn more: http://www.cheryllynninternational.com/speaking.
Next FREE live workshop: http://www.cheryllynninternational.com/liveworkshop