In talking with local businesses everyday, the controversy over Mobile Websites vs Mobile Apps is always at the forefront. There is not one business owner that I speak to that does not bring up the fact that they have to have a Mobile App first. The” App” word is a familiar word to them because they themselves have either an Android or iPhone smartphone of which they download app’s themselves and too it is a familiar word to them.
But this is not the first place to start in making your business Mobile ready! Many business of whom I speak to that had built the app first really get frustrated with the whole Mobile process because they don’t see the results they want quickly and it is costly. I always suggest bring in the sales first through our Mobile readiness strategies and then give your clients an added experience with apps. Mobilizing your business does take a few months to put into place effectively! I am not talking about these quick and easy setups that companies are selling businesses on, I am talking about owning your own Mobile virtual real estate for your business!
The Mobile website versus Mobile app debate is a consequence of current developments in the way websites and applications are built for mobile devices. Every business eventually will have to establish a Mobile presence as the world changes to platform based marketing.
What’s the Difference Between the Two?
Mobile websites and Mobile apps are both designed and optimized for Smartphones and tablets.
Mobile websites are just like standard websites, with the difference that they are optimized for the small touch-screen of mobile devices. Sometimes, Mobile websites also have features like mapping (geo-targetting) and click-to-call buttons which are specific to Mobile devices.
Mobile apps are applications you download onto your Mobile device from app portals such as Android Market or Apple App Store. Mobile apps can work online, offline, or both, and they are designed for a specific platform (iOS, Android) though popular apps are usually available across platforms. The more platforms apps are available on the more money it will cost. Usually companies will choose the top two, Android and Apple marketplaces.
Mobile Website First, Mobile App Second
Creating a Mobile website is normally the first step companies take when developing a web presence, because setting up a Mobile website is easy and cost-effective. Once the Mobile website is in place, then a Mobile app that serves a more specific function can be developed.
When Cheryl Lynn International works with their clients we will first suggest a WordPress main website, then we will build out for them their OWN Mobile website, set up various Mobile strategies and tactics to start increasing revenues, then once that is working well we will suggest a Mobile App. We do it that way so you continually build upon giving a customer an awesome experience and at the same time letting the customer know your business in growing and thinking NEW technologies all the time. All areas of Mobile readiness for a business is created for our customers and they OWN their own virtual real estate.
Now apps depends on what you’re developing. Games, for example, are best developed as Mobile apps from the start with a hired developer. Whereas content-based Mobile apps can be build really easy at Cheryl Lynn International. Ideally a business needs a main website and a Mobile website that are working like an ATM machine then they should think about a Mobile app. With a content driven Mobile app you have to build the main website first.
Mobile Websites versus Mobile Apps
When your goal is to reach many users quickly, a Mobile website is preferable to a Mobile app. On the other hand, when you want to provide a powerful tool or a complex game, a Mobile app is better and of course requires a developer costing thousands of dollars.
- Mobile websites work across platforms and devices, an iPhone (iOS) user as well as a Samsung, Galaxy Nexus (Android) user being able to access the same Mobile website.
- Mobile applications (apps) work only with the platforms for which they have been developed for. Example: an Android user will not be able to access an iPHone (iOS) Mobile app unless the app is available in the Android marketplace as well.
- Mobile websites are instantly available to any Mobile users with an Internet connection and browser.
- Mobile apps require to be downloaded and installed before they can be used.
- Mobile websites are easy to support, adding new content to them being easy.
- Mobile apps for games can be very costly to sustain because they require frequent upgrades to fix bugs and to enhance features. On the other hand Mobile apps for content are a lot more cost effective.
- Mobile websites can be upgraded quickly and easily, and the upgrade will become active instantly.
- Mobile apps upgrades are typically released as a new app version, which will have to be downloaded and installed by the user on top of the old version.
- Mobile websites are accessible to all users for as long as the Web is up.
- Mobile apps are rarely used for more than a few months (or years for remarkable apps), after which they are either forgotten or deleted.
Building a Mobile website is the obvious choice for anyone wishing to establish a Mobile presence on the Web quickly and effectively. Developing a Mobile app is the recommended choice for those making games or tools that feature complex calculations or that are required to work offline. Ideally, you will want to start with a WordPress Main Site, a WordPress Mobile website, and then, in time, build a Mobile app as well.
If you need to get your business Mobile ready, please contact us today! We look forward to helping you increase your revenues, client base and dominate your community as being the #1 place of business!
Is your business Mobile ready? Let us put your site through out simulator and let us show you what you need to do. We would love to hear from you so leave your comments below.
Like this post? If so, please like our fanpage and receive a free gift?
Front Page Button